Cookeville Regional Medical Center announces that it has been recognized by Healthgrades for clinical excellence in cardiac care, coronary intervention, orthopedics, spine surgery, pulmonary and critical care according to Healthgrades, the leading online resource that helps consumers search, compare and connect with physicians and hospitals. This achievement was released with other new findings in the Healthgrades 2015 Report to the Nation, which evaluates hospital performance at over 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 33 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.
The new report highlights the disparity in hospital performance for specific conditions and procedures and the impact that this variation may have on health outcomes. For example, from 2011-2013, if all hospitals as a group, performed similarly to hospitals receiving 5-stars as a group, on average 228,426 lives could potentially have been saved and 169,298 complications could potentially have been avoided.* A 5-star rating indicates that Cookeville Regional’s clinical outcomes are better than expected when treating the condition or conducting the procedure being evaluated.
Cookeville Regional not only performs at a 5 star level – it outperforms other hospitals in the nation in several conditions, and as a result has been recognized with the 2015 Healthgrades Specialty Excellence Award in three categories: Cardiac Care, Coronary Intervention and Orthopedic Surgery.
“We continue to receive national recognition for the high quality patient care we provide at our hospital and that is a testament to everyone at the medical center,” said Paul Korth, CEO of Cookeville Regional. “Maintaining a high level of quality patient care is a priority for all of us, from the board of trustees on down. We are proud of our medical staff as well as our hospital staff for the dedication they have toward caring for our patients. They strive each day to continually improve our processes, and thus, the care provided for the thousands of patients we treat each year in our facilities.”
“The Healthgrades analysis shows that not all hospitals perform equally in all procedures, so it is important that consumers do their homework when selecting a hospital,” said Evan Marks, Chief Strategy Officer, Healthgrades. “Those hospitals that have achieved the Healthgrades distinction have demonstrated a commitment to exceptional clinical quality care.”
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 40 million Medicare-patient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide, assessing hospital performance relative to each of 33 common conditions and procedures. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5 star (statistically better than expected), 3 star (statistically as expected) and 1 star (statistically worse than expected) categories. Detailed performance information, such as cohort-specific outcomes data and quality achievements, as well as more information on the Healthgrades 2015 Report to the Nation, including complete methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality.
Cookeville Regional’s full listing of achievements include:
America’s 100 Best by Specialty
· One of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care™ for 3 Years in a Row (2013-2015)
· One of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Coronary Intervention™ for 4 Years in a Row (2012-2015)
· One of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™ for 4 Years in a Row (2012-2015)
· Recipient of the Healthgrades Cardiac Care Excellence Award™ for 4 Years in a Row (2012-2015)
· Recipient of the Healthgrades Coronary Intervention Excellence Award™ for 5 Years in a Row (2011-2015)
· Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Coronary Interventional Procedures for 4 Years in a Row (2012-2015)
· Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Cardiac Services for 4 Years in a Row (2012-2015)
· Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiology Services for 4 Years in a Row (2012-2015)
· Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Coronary Interventional Procedures for 5 Years in a Row (2011-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Bypass Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2013-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures for 5 Years in a Row (2011-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack for 5 Years in a Row (2011-2015)
· Recipient of the Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award™ for 7 Years in a Row (2009-2015)
· Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services for 7 Years in a Row (2009-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 7 Years in a Row (2009-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery for 9 Years in a Row (2007-2015)
· Recipient of the Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
· Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for 3 Years in a Row (2013-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Peripheral Vascular Bypass for 4 Years in a Row (2012-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism in 2015
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure for 3 Years in a Row (2013-2015)
· Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Diabetic Emergencies in 2015
Serving the area since 1950, Cookeville Regional has grown to be the region’s health care provider of choice and is the flagship hospital for the Cookeville Regional Health System that also includes Cumberland River Hospital and Cookeville Regional Medical Group.
Cookeville Regional Medical Center is a progressive 247-bed regional referral center serving more than 350,000 residents in the Upper Cumberland region of middle Tennessee. With over 200 physicians in 40 different medical and surgical specialties, Cookeville Regional offers patients here the same kind of care that they could expect in a larger metropolitan area including specialty care such as cardiology, electrophysiology, cardiac and thoracic surgery, vascular surgery, pulmonology, cancer treatment, orthopedics, physical rehabilitation and neurosurgery. The medical center’s Rehabilitation Center is located within a block of the hospital and includes both outpatient services and a 20-bed inpatient unit. Cookeville Regional also houses a 32-bed behavioral health hospital owned and operated by Ten Broeck Tennessee.
*Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2011 through 2013 and represent 3-year estimates for Medicare patients only.